Preparing for your transfer orientation
Make travel arrangements
Check-in locations and directions
Airline flights to Columbus
Commercial flights will arrive at John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH). Taxi, shuttle and limousine service to the campus area is available.
Airport Information: 614-239-4083 flycolumbus.com
If you have any trouble, call 614-292-4161 (2-4161 if you're calling from a campus phone) for assistance.
Reserve overnight accommodations
We understand that for some of our guests, it is quite a commute to Ohio State's Columbus campus. Therefore, we provide information about nearby hotel accommodations.
Pack the following items
- Money for orientation lunch and $7 (subject to change) for parking for the day
- A battery-operated calculator, if taking the math exam (Programmable calculators and calculators using computer symbolic algebra or QWERTY keyboards are not permitted.)
- A picture ID (driver's license, state ID or passport), required to get your university ID card
- A transcript of any college course work taken during high school, in case your official college transcript hasn't arrived
- A backback or bookbag, as you will receive a number of materials
- A sweatshirt or sweater (Some rooms are air-conditioned and may be unusually chilly.)
- Inclement weather gear such as umbrellas and raincoats
- Ohio State username and password
- Comfortable shoes and casual clothing, as you will do extensive walking and some stair climbing
- Transfer Credit Report
Check your financial aid status
File your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) yearly at fafsa.ed.gov. The Financial Aid priority deadlines adhere to when the FAFSA was actually received, not when it was mailed.
Check your current Financial Aid status at sfa.osu.edu/status. This site will indicate your award status and any additional documentation that may be required for verification.
If you need to submit any verification documents, you may bring them with you to your orientation session. You may meet with a financial aid representative to answer questions and submit your documents.
There are three initial requirements to activate an awarded Federal Direct Loan:
- Accept the loan in full or part. To do this, view your status page at sfa.osu.edu/status and use the prompt in the What's Needed column of your electronic Financial Aid Award Package.
- Complete online entrance counseling. Ohio State reserves the right to cancel all or part of this loan if you do not fulfill this requirement.
- Compete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Access and complete your electronic MPN at studentloans.gov. You will need to have your Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN). If you do not have a PIN, you may register for one at pin.ed.gov.
Please refer to sfa.osu.edu to answer any additional questions that you may have, or contact our office.
Purchase a parking permit
If you are planning to bring an automobile to campus, you may purchase your student parking permit online at campusparc.com. Parking permits can be purchased with a check or Visa, MasterCard or Discover (cash, American Express, and starter or counter checks cannot be accepted).
To register your vehicle, you will need to know the make and year of your vehicle and the license plate number. Please note that parking permits are priced on a monthly pro-rated schedule.
Request disability services
Most of the academic accommodations and services available to students during the academic year through the Office for Disability Services (ODS) are also available to you during orientation. Students with disabilities can receive support services that include test-taking assistance and adaptive transportation.
Disability documentation must be presented to ODS for determination of eligibility prior to your orientation session. If arrangements are made in advance, ODS will help ascertain needs and arrange appropriate services during orientation for students. Arrangements for family members are also available.
We cannot guarantee that services will be available at orientation if arrangements are not made in advance of the program. Request disability accommodations here.
(top of page)