Understanding your Transfer Credit Report
As a new student with transfer credit, you may be wondering exactly how your courses fit into your intended degree program, especially if those courses have not been evaluated as Ohio State equivalents.
It is recommended, and required for some majors, that you have necessary evaluations done prior to scheduling classes at orientation. Having this credit evaluated will allow you to take courses for which you are well prepared and will avoid duplicating courses that you have completed elsewhere. Here are some guidelines to assist you:
- Look at your Transfer Credit Report and identify any General (courses numbered G000.xx) and/or Deferred credit (appearing in a separate section of the report).
- Check the "Recommendations for Your Major" section below to see if you need to have this General and/or Deferred credit further evaluated.
- For further credit evaluation, contact the appropriate Transfer Credit Coordinator (view a list of coordinators online at registrar.osu.edu/transfer_credit/tcc_list.asp). Please provide the following materials whether you are sending a fax, mailing information, or meeting with a Transfer Credit Coordinator:
- A copy of your Transfer Credit Report
- A copy of your transcript
- A course syllabus and/or other information that is sufficient to determine the content and level of the course, such as a copy of the title page and table of contents from the text book(s) used in the course with the chapters that you covered clearly marked.
- General, Special, or Deferred credits in subject areas not specified in the "Recommendations for Your Major" section usually do not need to be evaluated prior to orientation. Your advisor may be able to apply these courses to your degree requirements. At your orientation program, you can talk with an academic advisor about the need to further evaluate additional courses.
Recommendations for your major
If your intended major is in one of the following colleges or schools, you should seek further credit evaluation in the subjects indicated. It is recommended that you have these courses evaluated at least two weeks before your orientation.
School of Allied Medical Professions
Knowlton School of Architecture
College of the Arts and Sciences
The college office will apply your general and special credit to a Degree Audit Report, which you will receive before orientation.
Math and Science Majors*
Math and science courses
Fisher College of Business*
Computer and Information Science
* Programs that require evaluation of courses prior to orientation.
|College of Engineering*
Computer and Information Science
College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences
College of Education and Human Ecology
Computer and Information Science
School of Environment and Natural Resources
All other programs not listed
Description of transfer credit types
If the Transfer Credit Evaluator could not identify exact Ohio State course equivalents for your previous college course work, you will find some or all of the following designations.
G000.xx: General credit is awarded when there may be an equivalent course at Ohio State, but the Transfer Credit Evaluator could not make that determination.
S000.xx: Special credit is awarded when there is no specific course equivalent at Ohio State.
T000.xx: Technical credit is awarded for technical course work that is acceptable as undergraduate credit at Ohio State.
Und Tech: Undefined Technical credit is awarded for technical course work that is acceptable as undergraduate credit at Ohio State, but cannot be assigned to an existing Ohio State department.
D000.xx or Unknown: Deferred or Unknown credit is designated when the Transfer Credit Evaluator cannot determine if this course work is acceptable as undergraduate credit. It is not included in the total hours awarded, nor is it added to your Ohio State record until a transfer credit coordinator further evaluates the course(s) to determine whether or not credit can be awarded.
If you have been awarded any of the above types of credit, you can find a list of transfer credit coordinators at registrar.osu.edu/transfer_credit/tcc_list.asp.
Whenever possible, you have been awarded exact Ohio State course equivalents.
In the section of your Transfer Credit Report labeled "These Courses Transfer to Ohio State," your courses are listed by course department, course number or type of credit, and quarter hours of credit. Semester hours are multiplied by 1.5 to calculate equivalent quarter hours. An example follows:
- Term of course completion
- Ohio State course name and number
G000 = General Credit
xx = a unique identifying number assigned to your General, Special, Technical, or Deferred credit
- Total quarter hours earned for course
- K is the Ohio State transfer grade designation
2 = combination of two or more grades at previous institution
A = grade at previous institution (does not include + or -)
- Name or abbreviation of previous institution
- Course name and number(s) taken at previous institution equivalent to Ohio State course
If you attended an institution with a non-traditional credit hour system, the maximum number of transfer credit hours that you can expect to receive per year is 48 quarter hours.
Key to departmental abbreviations
||Accounting and Management Information Systems
||Agricultural Environmental and Development Economics
||African-American and African Studies
||Agricultural and Construction Systems Management
||City and Regional Planning
||Computer Science and Engineering
||East European Languages and Literature
||East Asian Languages and Literature
||Education: Educational Policy and Leadership
||Education: Physical Activity and Educational Services
||Education: Teaching and Learning
||Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
||Family and Consumer Sciences Education
||Food Science and Technology
||Consumer Sciences, Family Resource Management
||Horticulture and Crop Science
||Human Development and Family Science
||Health Information and Management Systems
||Materials Science and Engineering
||Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
This is a partial listing.
A complete list can be found at registrar.osu.edu/transfer_credit/depts.asp.
Also listed on your credit evaluation in the section labeled "Provisional Credits" are the courses that were in progress when you applied to Ohio State. Credits listed here will be added to your Ohio State record once we receive your final transcript, showing the courses satisfactorily completed. Remember to have final and official transcripts sent as soon as possible to the admissions office listed below.
P.O. Box 182646
Columbus, OH 43218-2646
Transfer credit planning
Students transferring to Ohio State from a variety of Ohio colleges and universities can check how their incoming credit will transfer to Ohio State using u.select. Please note, however, that this credit evaluation is not official until transcripts have been received by Ohio State from your previous institution and is for educational purposes only.