Freshmen entering spring or summer term
The first year: challenges, choices, and connections
We know that college is an exciting and challenging time for students and their families, so we've prepared an orientation program focused on helping you make a smooth transition to your life as a Buckeye. Because we want our students to be successful, we require all new students to attend a University Orientation program.
At Ohio State, we also recognize the important role that family members play in the success of our students. Therefore, we invite and encourage your parents or other adult family members to attend orientation with you.
During orientation, you'll have the following opportunities:
Orientation is important to your success as an Ohio State student, so we expect you to participate in all orientation sessions. By the conclusion of the orientation program, you will receive your schedule of classes for your first term.
- Learn what is expected of you as an Ohio State student both in and out of the classroom
- Attend a group advising session to learn about your academic area of study
- Schedule classes for your first term
- Meet other new students
- Become more familiar with campus
- Complete university business, such as getting your BuckID card or consulting with Student Financial Aid
- Complete any necessary placement testing