Freshmen entering spring or summer term
An overview of orientation activities is outlined below. Times are subject to change.
Check-in for the following activities (all of which begin promptly at 8 a.m.):
- Math Placement Exam — if you did not complete the exam online or you received an undetermined ("U") score
- English Placement Test — if you received 18 or below on ACT English, or 450 or below on SAT English
||Check-in for students who have completed the math exam online and whose scores exempt them from the English test
||Freshman orientation presentation: Welcome, information and instructions
||Academic advising and course scheduling (ending times determined by academic area of study)
Afternoon placement testing (if required):
- 12:30 - 4 p.m. Foreign language testing for French, German, Spanish and Italian
- 1:30 - 3:30 p.m. English and Latin testing
- 1:30 - 3:30 p.m. Math Placement Exam if you did not complete the online test, or if you received an undetermined ("U") score
- Financial Aid Consultations (1 - 3 p.m.)
- BuckID (by 4:30 p.m.)
Frequently asked questions
How much does orientation cost?
The Orientation fee for new students beginning at Ohio State during spring or summer terms is $25 which will be charged on a student's
statement of account for the first term of enrollment and will be due seven days before the first day of classes. Students and guests should bring
money for lunch and $7 (subject to change) for parking for the day.
How will I know which orientation program to attend?
Orientation sessions are arranged around academic programs. More information about which program you should attend will arrive with your University
Orientation mailing package.
Do I have to take placement tests?
Most students need to take some placement tests before they are able to schedule classes. Testing is offered in mathematics, English and foreign languages.
More information about placement testing can be found here. Please note that, if required, mathematics testing is to be
completed online at least two days before you attend orientation.
What if I took Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) tests in high school?
Ohio State awards credit for outstanding scores on AP and IB exams. Be sure to have an official copy of your scores sent directly to Ohio State, as credit
cannot be awarded without an official copy. To request an official copy of your scores, call the AP Office at
1-888-CALL4AP or the IB Office at 216-696-4464.
(top of page)